Dear GCNJ Members:
Due to the devastating COVID-19 global pandemic, we want to list the following cancelations and reassure our club members that we are united in our commitment to providing education, resources and opportunities for adults and youth for all our citizens to expand the love of gardening and floral design and encourage participation in civic, environmental and historic preservation projects to protect the past for the future.
United, we will weather this calamity that has gripped the world, follow strict measures of safe distancing so that we can get back to the new normal as soon as safely possible. Our government’s restrictions are everchanging as they seek to quell the spread of this horrific virus, so we will be canceling or holding virtual Zoom meetings, workshops, schools and conferences. The following is the current schedule as of July, 2020:
- All meetings to have been held at Holly House, GCNJ Headquarters, Rutgers Gardens for the rest of the calendar year of 2020 and until further notice, will be held via Zoom meetings from the safety of our homes.
- Flower Show School, Course IV to be held September 16th & 17th, 2020 at Holly House has been canceled. Both FSS Courses III & IV will be rescheduled in future.
- NGC’s Fall Board Meeting to be held in Fargo, North Dakota on September 24th, and 25th has been canceled.
- GCNJ District Meetings will be rescheduled via Zoom meetings TBA.
- District Flower Shows scheduled for September, 2020 have been postponed, details to follow.
- Garden Study School to be held at Holly House on October 6th, 7th & 8th, 2020 will be held via Virtual Zoom with details to follow.
- Judges Council Meetings will be held via Zoom meetings, details to follow.
- Flower Show Symposium to be held at the Holiday Inn in East Windsor on October 14th , 15th and 16th has been postponed until the Fall of 2021.
- Central Atlantic Region-SGC Conference at Dover Downs, Delaware scheduled for October 19th, and 20th has been canceled.
- The Garden Club of New Jersey’s Fall Conference and Presidents Day at the Bridgewater Marriott to be held at the Bridgewater Marriott has been canceled and a Virtual Zoom Meeting will take place in late Fall, details to follow.
Please know that we are working hard to provide upcoming workshops so our member clubs feel comfortable conducting Virtual meetings and our Speakers List has been updated to include Speakers who have adapted to the new normal and are able to present Virtual workshops from the safety of our homes. Our new website will be continually updated to give the latest information on a wide range of gardening topics. We will be working to advocate for important environmental legislation under the Environment with current updates on key environmental legislation posted by our Environmental Chair, Beverly Kazickas. Beverly will provide instructions on reaching out to your local legislator/s on legislation that has lasting implications for our pollinators, wildlife, our health and wellbeing for us and for future generations.
Jeannie Geremia, GCNJ President